Using the NCCS NTEE & NPC Search Tool
NTEE stands for the National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities, our classification system for categorizing the activities and purposes of nonprofit organizations.
NPC is the Nonprofit Program Classification system used for categorizing the programs of the organizations.
3 Ways to Use. There are three easy ways to use this utility:
- Type in any word (or part of a word) and get a list of codes (with the search word highlighted in red).
- Type in a a specific code ("A01") and get the details.
- Type in a partial code, say 'P', 'P3' or 'A2', to get a listing of all codes that begin with 'P', 'P3' or 'A2'.
- Include all details? - The NTEE definitions include scope notes, key words, examples and other material of use in classifying. If you keep this button checked, you will see ALL of the detail.
- List codes & names only? - With this checked, you will see only the code and a short description. */ ?>
- NTEE - NPC - You can switch between NTEE and NPC code listings by clicking on the appropriate link at the bottom of the screen.
- View all codes - Click this link to view a full list of all NTEE or NPC codes (code and short description only). You can also "drill down" to the detail by clicking on the code (in brown). You will see not only the specific code but also its parent codes. For example, if you click on A34, you will also see its parent codes "A30" and "A".
- Major groups - Both the NTEE and NPC codes are divided into 26 major groups. Click this link to view the list of these major groups.
- NPC Population - Click this link to view a full list of NPC population codes (also sometimes called "beneficiary codes").
- NPC Common - Click this link to view a full list of NPC "common codes." These codes may be used in conjunction with any activity area (arts, health care, human services, etc.) to indicate fundraising, advocacy, training, or other types of activities that can be found within any of the major categories. Example: A03,**D provides capacity-building services for cultural heritage (A03) programs.
- Core (NPC only) - Click this link to view a full list of "core" NPC codes. This includes codes from A to Z but excludes Common Codes and Population Codes.
NAICS is the North American Industry Classification System used by the U.S. Census Bureau and most federal government agencies for categorizing segments of the U.S. economy.